Welcome!

I am a new mum who is passionate about the environment and want to do my bit for the world by reducing my baby's carbon footprint. So I have created this blog to track my experiences using cloth and Eco nappies.

Over the first 6 months of my baby's life I will track:
my experiences using different types of nappies
my water usage over this period
and experiment with composting

I hope that like minded parents will join me in my journey and I value any feedback and
experience that you may want to contribute!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The wonderful world of nappies

Not long now until my baby arrives and I have been researching which nappy option I want to invest in for my child’s future. One thing is for sure I don’t want to use disposable nappies as it goes against everything I believe in – unnecessary waste in landfill. And with a baby’s estimated nappy usage in its life time being around 5000 nappies I just can’t justify the waste. However, I am not adverse to progress as I am a modern girl looking for a modern day solution to the old square cloth nappy option.

It seems that there has been some progress in the cloth and disposable nappy world and I am very keen to investigate all options. My current research has been a general search on the internet to find out what is out there. I must say that I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the process as information on infant needs is not one of my strong points and I am finding that I really need to do a bit more research on the nappy requirements of newborns compared with toddlers. The other thing I must get used to is the new jargon I am supposed to understand – what on earth is a snib? Is it the same thing as pilchers? Are fluffies just a general cute term for pilchers that my friend made up or are they actually something different? What is the difference between nappy liners and nappy inserts? Do I need to use safety pins with cloth nappies or are there other options? I am really entering into another world here and I can see that I will need to get a move on before my little guy arrives!

So begins my adventure into the world of the modern day nappy to find out what is the best option for me. I hope to fill this blog with the latest up to date information on nappy options for the modern eco parent wanting to do their bit for the world as well as my ongoing experiences along the way. I will endeavor to find eco friendly ways to dispose of my baby’s waste through composting experiments using different nappy products. I hope to display this information in an easy step by step process so that other parents may get some ideas of how they can reduce their own baby's waste to help reduce landfill and maybe even improve the environment.

I welcome the broader eco parent community to get on board and connect in with like minded people through this blog and I look forward to receiving your comments!

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Agree with you totally - I wish we had the new styled washable nappies when my kids were young. I did use cloth ones for all of my kids but found at night time the disposable ones helped with leakage. I also found having 3 kids under 5 with two in nappies it very hard to keep up with the washing. There is some debate that the chemicals used to wash the nappies and the power used to wash them has the same impact as using disposable. Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Becc! Yes night time leakage may be an issue that I will have to find a solution for I think. I agree about the chemical issue with washing nappies and I have been looking at different liquids and whitening agents other than nappysan, there are a few about but I need to investigate this further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great information which will save me loads of time on my nappy research. YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sim I'm glad it is helping you out! If you think of any questions about nappies, composting etc let me know as it will help me with my research.

    ReplyDelete